Sending direct mail to homeowners

7 Replies

I am looking to start sending some mailers directly to homeowners. There are quite a few properties that I have identified but I'm going back and forth on what to send to the them for my first contact. I am looking at both single family as well as multi family that need minor and major repairs. Any suggestions on the best way to approach this and if anyone has any sample letters that they have had success with I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks BP!
Jeremy

Hello @Jeremy Moura !

I usually suggest to send a postcard with First Class Postage as the first touch in a direct mail campaign. For one thing, postcards are cheaper than letters and can typically be created and mailed out in less time than it takes to create, stuff, and mail a letter. 

Also, going with the cheaper postcard and First Class Postage will help you get a feel for your list. Meaning, you will be guaranteed your return mail (per Post Office guidelines) and therefore you will see which addresses are un-deliverable, wrong address, etc. And with your returned mail you can then help better guarantee your future touches will arrive at the proper address with skip tracing or running your list through the NCOA (National Change Of Address).

As for samples, I would say that the postcard I choose depends on my list, however my favorite postcards look like these:

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

@Jeremy Moura I'd suggest listening to or reading How to Win Friends and Influence People. See if that gives you some ideas on the copy. 

Most folks are too "Me" focused. 

Just because they generate calls doesn't mean that they generate conversions. I'd suggest introducing yourself, asking the seller a question (ex: Have you considered selling?), and give them a clear call to action (Call me at 555-5555).

If you're going to do them yourself I'd recommend hand addressing and doing a printed/signed professional letter inside of it. 

@Jeremy Moura

I'll send you a whole stash of templates. If you want scripts, checklists or a game plan, can send you those as well. There's a lot to prepare for to ensure your marketing dollars are converted to leads successfully. 

if this is available i'd be very interested in these. Thanks

Originally posted by @Ray Lai :

@Jeremy Moura

I'll send you a whole stash of templates. If you want scripts, checklists or a game plan, can send you those as well. There's a lot to prepare for to ensure your marketing dollars are converted to leads successfully. 

@Jeremy Moura . We have sent millions of unsolicited and undervalued offers to property owners with fantastic results.  

Our website has a copy of the pdf for download that we use with pretty strong success. Over the past two decades we have learned that mailing post cards or colored letters or "back tax" owners only is ineffective. If its houses you are buying, send a cover letter with a purchase agreement to the actual owner via mail merge that contains a purchase price for cash only waiving all contingencies and include a closing date.  The message you want to send is "I would like to buy your house next Thursday for $128,575.23 regardless of it's condition.  

Make sure you remove homeowners who have purchased the house in the past 10 years or better yet, have no mortgage at all. Lots of property is/was over leveraged in the last decade. 50% of all SFRs have no associated debt, so there is enough to go around (approximately 40M properties nationwide and that does not include condos and mobiles). PM me for the state by state break down.

For every 1,500 offers we send +/-, we purchase a house for immediate wholesale (really helps if you have the buyer/renovator lined up before you send the mail out - then you are simply filling his/her order).

Hope this helps. No matter what, you have found the best way to purchase real property.

@Brian George

Fill out your profile and put up a picture, then shoot me a message and I'll send them all to you. If you're going to do things, go all the way.

Massive actions for massive results! 

Originally posted by @Ray Lai :

@Brian George

Fill out your profile and put up a picture, then shoot me a message and I'll send them all to you. If you're going to do things, go all the way.

Massive actions for massive results! 

Hi Ray, or anyone that go the templates from him - can I get them possibly?

Thanks,

Mo

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here