BRRR Questions As It Pertains To A Partner

7 Replies

I have not done my first deal yet, unfortunately. I am however, currently looking to house hack a multi-family in the Indianapolis market via my VA loan (0% down payment) as well as buy a multi-family with a partner willing to provide the 20% down, assuming I can finance the rest.

My question about the BRRRR method as it pertains to a partner is simple. Once the first house is BRRRRed and a second house has been acquired, do you split the cashflow with the investor on the second house? Third house? Every house that derived from the initial house?

Thanks again, love the site and look forward to rebuilding a professional network as I haven't posted since I lost money on a business with my brother 2 years ago.

@Kameron Patterson

You can establish the partnership however you like, however I would definitely plan to take each deal independently, and be sure that is established up front. Reason being, if you BRRR the first property, and are able to purchase the second without the help of a partner, you may choose to do that. You may also decide that partnerships aren't for you, and it's no fun to be tied to a partner you don't like.

Thanks @Mike Sattem

I was relying on someone from the pacific time zone to reply as it is midnight here. 

I was thinking that would be the case but as my Mother would be my partner I wanted to see how everyone else handled this method.

@Kameron Patterson , the short answer to your question is: whatever you NEGOTIATE as being fair, is, to you. 

What percentage of partner-value do you place on mom's CASH, vs you borrowing the rest? [She needs to ask the same].

ie. Don't give up any of YOUR fair share!

Who's finding the supposed "deals"? How much time and effort does that REALLY take? And are the deals really suitable BRRRR candidates? (ie. Will each Refinance get you ALL your deposit back?)

My first suggestion is: try to find a BRRRR candidate for your OWN primary, even though it's not for renting.

You might ask: What's so good about that suggestion? A. You should be only buying/living-in bargains ANYWAY!

Thank you for your service. All the best...

@Brent Coombs

I definitely like the first statement you made.  

I do have the resources to get a loan on my own.  My concern is contrary to @Scott Trench advice, I have a primary sfh that I purchased in the last 6 months for $200k. This makes me believe that I may be limited on what I can purchase through the VA backed loan next. I would also like 2 MFH in the next 12 months and seeing that she just got an inheritance and wants to invest makes me think she would make sense to partner with.

So, in this theoretical partnership, I would be finding the deal and getting the financing.  She would just be providing the 20% down.  

With that being said, my first plan of action is to see if I qualify for additional entitlement with the VA and try to get a 4 plex under contract. I am hoping to do this in quarter one.

@Kameron Patterson , you'll notice I've edited my original response that you already read before. No more mention of "resources", and, "own boss". [Also, I hadn't seen where you mentioned it was your mom who'd be the partner].

You could of course come to an understanding that you'd provide a percentage return on her provided deposit, rather than a percentage on your returns from the total deal. See the difference? She would get paid by you either way - even if you proved to be a terrible picker of deals! Just make sure - you're NOT! Cheers...

I have a partner with some of my brrr properties. Although, I had been doing flips and buying rental properties prior to taking on a partner. He provides all the cash needed and I provide the knowledge to find, rehab, and rent. We split everything 50/50, cashflow and appreciation, typically we get most of the cash back when we refinance and that goes back into the company to buy the next property. 

@Grant Anderson

I appreciate the information.  I am looking into flipping for capitol to buy multi-family properties as well. 

Did I see you at a wholesale meeting last week?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.