Getting a variance to build an addition

2 Replies

I'm not sure where I should have posted this question, but here it goes.  I want to add an addition to my personal residence, but I would need to get a variance because I will be too close to the property line.  I believe that my neighbors would be fine with us doing this work.  Obviously I would check with them before approaching the town.  I'm sure every town is different, but I am trying to see what type of objections I would get and what the likely hood of actually being able to get a variance would be.  All comments are appreciated.

My parents wanted to do this to build a garage, but the neighbors objected.  I can't recall if my parents went through with the city or not, but we never got that garage. 

I tried to build a solid carport (currently have a metal/temporary one) and went to the city.  They told me I could try, but I'd probably be denied.  There was a lot of paperwork and since I was being told I'd probably get denied, I didn't bother.

I realize this isn't really helpful info, but I'm bumping up your thread so maybe someone else can give you better info.  :-)

Call the zoning department and ask them.  They may deny the request outright.  Or, they can tell you the procedure for requesting the variance.  Assuming they don't deny you outright, they should be able to give you some feedback about how similar requests have been handled in the past and what opposition they have seen.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.