Using Zillow To Estimate Property Value

2 Replies

Hi folks,

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on using Zillow, Redfin, etc. as a primary tool when estimating a property's value. I've heard that the Zestimate and other things can often be a bit inaccurate, but overall it seems like Zillow is a pretty excellent one-stop shop to find out the majority of what you need to know about a property - comps, property taxes, previous sale prices, etc. Basically, enough to find out if it's worth further investigation. 

To me, it seems like a reasonable strategy to use the MLS to get quicker leads on a property and then just check out the address on Zillow to get an idea if it's a good deal.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

I use Zillow as I do my comparables. However I verify the information with the local assessors database. I have seen Zillow differ from the assessors records in regards to sold prices. I don't have MLS access, so this is the best I can do.

@Brian Pulaski I also don't have MLS access but have been set up with a daily email subscription of properties that fit my criteria. So I've been looking at any interesting properties from that list on Zillow to get more info.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.