Harvey flooded homes, what should I know??

6 Replies

Hi, I've never renoed a home before and looking to by a rental  property that was flooded in Harvey. This specific home  has never flooded before and is not in a flood zone. Right now is 60k under market value. It's in need of all drywall, floors, and cabinetry. 

Have any of you renoed flooded homes?

What's to know? What to look out for? Should i stay away all together? 

@Lorina Marshall

1)  Do you have contractors lined up or are you going to do the work?

2)  Are the other properties in the area going to be fixed?

3)  Is the property $60,000 below the after repairs value or $60,000 below the gutted flooded price?

4)  Have you talked to city inspectors about things they will make you bring up to code?

5)  Was the home flooded with chemicals that you know of?

6)  How much mold is there?

7)  What price range of house are you talking about?

8)  Have you had a structural engineer inspect the building?

What neighborhood are you buying in . I know Norchester and several others flooded homes are still selling.. you must price correctly though ! After Tax Day floods it took 18 months for prices to cone back so expect a hit .

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here