Amazon HQ2 - Atlanta, Chicago, Cincinnati, and Dallas

21 Replies

Chicago... got the metro and 2 intl airports....

I can't open the article but I would be very very happy if they choose Chicago.  

Austin can’t take the infrastructure hit. 50,000 people all heading for the same general area between 7 and 10 am? In Austin? I35 is already a mess.

Speaking for myself, I think Dallas stands the best chance. Lots of land to do things with. Chicago is too cold and the rest are too far (time zone) apart from Seattle. Imagine trying to schedule a meeting with half the attendees 3 hours ahead/behind you....

Austin is considered the leader for a lot of reasons.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazons-5-billion-headquarters-is-most-likely-to-go-to-austin-texas-2017-10

Austin has a better tech community and work force for tech than Dallas, but I’d say at this point it’s mainly a crapshoot.

Austin would make sense, but Lord, they can't handle the people there now. 

@Hersh M.   I am surprised at some errors in the article.  The main one I noticed was the fact that they gave the population of the entire Dallas area but did not give correct the number of head quarters for the entire Dallas area.  The Dallas area is home to 22 Fortune 500 companies.  Dallas is also the home of many US Headquarters of foreign companies that are not included on the Fortune 500.  These include companies like Toyota which has the same market share as General Motors in the US.  If Toyota was allowed to be on the Fortune 500 list it would be top 10 from US sales alone. 

Also they included the entire Dallas area on the education numbers.  The site would most likely be in Collin County.  Our education numbers are much higher than Dallas County.  In Collin County more than 23% of adults 25 or older have at least a bachelors degree in science, engineering or a related field.

But... like I said on another thread, I think they have already decided and are just trying to get the most giveaways they can get.

Originally posted by @Brie Schmidt :

I can't open the article but I would be very very happy if they choose Chicago.  

Ofcorse, you would ;) 

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :

None of the above. Austin Texas

Lol. Good one. Are you sure you want 50k people coming in and messing up such a nice place? Also amzn has whole foods connection there. 

My vote is for Atlanta.   Low cost of living out of the top cities, largest airport, good universities - Georgia Tech and Emory.

Located at the far side of the country compared to Seattle.  

@Joe Kim   If you compare non stop options from DFW and ATL you will quickly find DFW is the winner in that also.  We have non stops to Australia, China, and Dubai.  I do not believe ATL has a non stop to any of those.  Of course we have two major airports not just DFW.

Moody's ranked Austin #1, Atlanta #2, based on their analysis. I saw another "quick & dirty" analysis that put Denver #1. Opinions are like... well, you know the rest. :)

Originally posted by @Kris Wong :

Moody's ranked Austin #1, Atlanta #2, based on their analysis. I saw another "quick & dirty" analysis that put Denver #1. Opinions are like... well, you know the rest. :)

Just saw some online betting company put Denver at 20-1 odds. I think our shot is much better than that. 

@Kris Wong   I find Austin unlikely unless the company is trying to get the city to commit to major improvements to the airport, and transportation in general.

They seem to lose on several of the major factors.

Dallas has a much better airport, is much more culturally diverse, has a much bigger potential work force, has many more related companies to name a few.

All of those things were mentioned as requirements by Amazon.   

Here's a link to a podcast about the impact of Amazon's existing HQ on Seattle.  Snippets of it have been airing on our local NPR affiliate. 

http://www.cpr.org/news/story/what-seattle-knows-about-amazon

One tidbit they mention is that, in Seattle, every new Amazon job produced seven new jobs outside Amazon.  If that's true in the HQ2 location the impact is not 50,000 new jobs, but 400,000.  The Denver metro area is 2.8 million.  City of Denver is only 600,000.   Austin metro is 2.1 million. So that would be a HUGE impact for either city.

Originally posted by @Matt M. :
Originally posted by @Kris Wong:

Just saw some online betting company put Denver at 20-1 odds. I think our shot is much better than that. 

Yeah, I am keeping an eye on this gambling site - http://www.paddypower.com/bet?action=go_event&cate...

People betting with real money. Currently Atlanta is leading. But Austin is not too far.  

interesting article in Atlanta’s newspaper today on how winning HQ2 Amazon would affect it Atlanta.

HQ2 effect what Atlanta can expect

I think it won’t have the same effect as Atlanta is larger and the impact will be big, but not as big as it was in Seattle. 

It will take a while to really feel the effects. Look at how long it took Austin to catch on.

It's going to be the 'Burgh. Because we really don't need it. and judging from how hard our esteemed community leaders are fighting to keep the details of their bid sealed and out of the public eye, they handed Bezos a monster strap-on, a gallon of epoxy mix, and a bucket of sand, and told him to do whatever he liked to the city.

I am pulling for Atlanta in the new Stonecrest city area.  Would be great for a revitalization and spur much needed mass transit further out I-20.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here