Could you help me evaluate my 1st deal?

8 Replies

I'm already a landlord.  My wife and I own bought a new house last year.  We kept our old house because it was paid off and put a renter in it.  It's been a great first year!  So we became accidental landlord lol.

Now we are going to BUY some deals and expand our rental portfolio.

I have a good deal on a 3 bedroom 1 bath home.  It's already been flipped, just needs appliances.  I think there is great room to add value to the home as well (a 2nd bathroom could easily be added before we resell it later.  But its 100% rentable now).

I used the pro tools and was just wanting someone to take a look and let me know what they thought.  It looks to me like it would cash flow pretty easy.  Thoughts?

I was super conservative with all my numbers, still learning.

How does the numbers look? Can you post?

I was a member of Louisville Board of Realtors before so I am somewhat familiar with the area. When you close there is advanced property tax, title you need to ascertain that  $2K is adequate to cover it.  Just my 2 cents.

Shane, I own some properties and I'm happy to help you think through this.  Message me privately and we can discuss more.  Thanks.

Originally posted by @Sam Shueh :

I was a member of Louisville Board of Realtors before so I am somewhat familiar with the area. When you close there is advanced property tax, title you need to ascertain that  $2K is adequate to cover it.  Just my 2 cents.

for sure, i have lots of cash so I just threw that number in.  I was mainly looking at the monthly stuff to make sure long term it is a good monthly investment with good cashflow.  What do you think would be a better estimate? 3k? 3500?

property tax rate should be 24.42 cents per $100 assessed value. That sounds very low there may be other city taxes etc.

As for closing contact your local escrow if you use them they can give you exact rate. In CA as a realtor I tell them est 1-1.5% of sales price as rough estimate but the Alta title and local taxes are not the same as Knox County.

Good luck.

Originally posted by @Sam Shueh :

property tax rate should be 24.42 cents per $100 assessed value. That sounds very low there may be other city taxes etc.

As for closing contact your local escrow if you use them they can give you exact rate. In CA as a realtor I tell them est 1-1.5% of sales price as rough estimate but the Alta title and local taxes are not the same as Knox County.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for your expertise Sam.  I appreciate you.  

I was interested in this post and glanced at it.  I did not see any Insurance costs in there.  Did you include insurance?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.