3x2 Brick vs 3x1 Siding ... Help me decide

4 Replies

OK, I have two homes.  A 3x2 brick house and a 3x1 vinyl house.  Both are similar in square footage and lot size.  Both are about $75K asking.

The 3x2 brick is in good shape and nice inside.  Already flipped. 

Notes

• It needs a new roof
  • It's not in a neighborhood that is a good prospect for appreciation
    • Not a bad neighborhood or unsafe or anything, it's just older houses and stuff
  • The neighbor has two big dogs that are outside on electric collars.  Kinda scary, will need to buy privacy fence
  • The neighbors look fine, drive ok cars, but their porches are a bit junky

The 3x1 is also already flipped and in good shape.  

• Only 1 bathroom
  • Vinyl, a little older but in great shape
  • Does not not need a roof and has a new AC unit
  • It is on a busy road, but it's in a much much nicer part of town.  There are some really nice houses near it, nothing too old or run down.  

I think a bathroom could be added to the 3x1 pretty easy (would lose a little kitchen) and really up the value of the home through improvements.

Not sure which would rent easier?  The 3x2 with sketchy neighbors, or the 3x1 with good neighbors and a better location.

If you could buy ONE of these which would YOU buy?

Originally I was going to go with the brick. But with the neighborhood and potential value add of the vinyl, I'd go with that one.

Originally posted by @Robert Freeborn :

Originally I was going to go with the brick. But with the neighborhood and potential value add of the vinyl, I'd go with that one.

That's kinda what I was thinking too man.   Brick 3x2 leads out of the gate.  But I'm just afraid that it will be harder to rent though.  The other one has good natural light as well, and I think when I'm ready to sell out, throw in a bathroom and I add a bunch of value.  Should still be fairly easy to rent out too.  

If the brick's roof was good, it may be better of an opportunity.  I'm just worried about the neighbors scaring people off. 

Sounds like you've made up your mind. Pull the trigger and get started! You're on the road to financial freedom!

How busy is the busy road ? Is there a fence? I would go with the second one if there is a fence. Familes and people with pets dont like busy roads. it can be offset by a nice fenced back yard.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.