Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Natalie C.
  • Mt. Holly, NJ
Votes |
How to determine market value of a house?

Natalie C.
  • Mt. Holly, NJ
Posted Oct 27 2017, 10:20

Hello! Lurker of several months here, first time poster. Currently own 2 homes - we live in one, rent out the other. My question is unrelated to rentals, however. Somebody please let me know if this is beyond the scope of the forum! Also, I am quite new to real estate, so I appreciate your patience with my post!

A family member passed away in July and my two brothers and I inherited the house. We three siblings all get along very well. There was no will and thus we are going through probate.

The home is located in a hot area in Oakland, CA. The deceased family member was a MESSY hoarder, so the house is still packed with his belongings, garbage, and rat poop. We currently do not know how sound the foundation/bones of the home are.

Our plan had been to go through inspections, clean it out, and fix it up so that it is in livable condition, and then put it on the market. Realtors we've spoken to believe it may end up going for $1-1.2m.

Last night one of my brothers informed my other brother and myself that he and his wife are now interested in buying us out and moving into the house. We 3 siblings all want to be fair to each other, so if my brother ends up buying us out we do not want him to over- or under-pay, and the two of us getting bought out do not want to be over- or under-paid.

My question is this - is there any way to determine the market value of a house without actually putting it on the market? My feeling is that this will be tricky to do, especially in a neighborhood with an incredibly hot market.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this? I would love anybody's input!

Thank you so much!

Loading replies...