Cash closing - better understanding the process

2 Replies

I'm in the midst of closing in on my first deal involving all cash financing. I signed the contract and put up the good faith deposit 2.5 weeks ago on the 16th. The attorneys initially gave the 10th of November as my tentative closing date. Since this is a cash deal I had assumed I'd be able to close much sooner than 4 weeks. I've made it clear to both my agent and attorney I'd like to close ASAP. 

Can someone give better insight to what is happening? I know there is a title search that needs to complete. Is this the normal time frame? If not what should I do differently next time? I'm about to reach out to the attorney directly but would like to be educated on what I can do differently for my next deal. Thanks in advance!

Whether a deal is cash or financed, the title company still needs to go through the same process. 

Title search, survey (if required/requested), examining title, preparing title report/title commitment, obtaining tax certs, getting final water readings, gathering payoffs, HOA, condo dues, adjusting pre-paid and unpaid items, preparing settlement statement. These things all take time especially because they require third parties to cooperate and provide information which is verifiable.

The quickest you're ever going to close is probably 1 week. Most people plan for 2-4 weeks. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here