Investment Location Rent vs. Own

7 Replies

Hi, first time here and just getting started in rental property investing. I'm looking to target my old hometown in Massachusetts (I live in CA now) as my rental investment location. However, the renters percentage is 18% (vs. 82% own). Should I consider this a deterrent for this location? Additionally, I don't see many SFR properties available for rent today. Again, should this be considered a good or bad thing? Higher demand?

Appreciate your thoughts. 

(949) 872-1248

Normally a high percentage of owners is a good thing as it usually means the neighborhood is stable and a place where people want to live long term.  The only exception I would see to this is if houses are extremely inexpensive ($65,000 or less) meaning most people who have decent credit would qualify to own instead of rent.

Thanks for the feedback. Good suggestion for Craigslist ad. Also, yes, this is a very family oriented town/neighborhood with above average schools. Housing ranges between $150 - $300K. 

(949) 872-1248

If that is the case and the area has good schools and a high percentage of home ownership it is likely a high demand area that people who can't afford to buy yet would love to live in.

Hey Mark! I would recommend calling a property management firm or two around the area and asking them about the rentability in that area. I actually just wrote an article on this exact thing, I think it came out yesterday-

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/critical-...

Having a rental property in a primarily owner-occupied area can be great- higher quality tenant pool potentially, better exit strategy options, etc. But, if it goes too far on the owner-occupied side (like the property of mine I describe in the article), you may have a hard time finding renters. A property manager would know exactly how easy it is to rent properties there since that's their full-time gig and I think they'd have the best knowledge to offer you.

Hope that helps!

Hi Mark, I'm an agent and an investor in MA. What towns are you referring to? Let me know what you're looking for and I'd be glad to help. Most investors want to invest in multi families to get more than one rental income. On a single family if the tenant is late with the rent or doesn't pay you still need to pay your mortgage vs on a 2-4 units you have other tenants paying the rent. 

Corey Melkonian, Real Estate Agent in MA (#9529492)
(617) 291-8232

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.