Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Nicole Gambino
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Votes |
Kansas City Investors/Locals - Need your Advice!

Nicole Gambino
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Francisco, CA
Posted Nov 9 2017, 20:07

Hi BiggerPockets members! I’m new to the game and looking at Kansas City as a potential city to purchase property. There are numerous reasonably priced Single and Multi Family homes for under $100k in certain neighborhoods (i.e. Oak Park Northwest/Southwest, Palestine East/West and Oak Park East, Lykins, Manheim Park, Ruskin Heights etc etc).

In looking at a heat map of these neighborhoods, there’s a lot of crime. Since I’m not familiar with the city, I’m wondering how bad these areas are. Are they up in incoming? Are they being gentrified? Is anyone investing here or have any thoughts or advice? Are there any neighborhoods that you would avoid like the plague?

Just thinking out loud - I live in San Francisco. While SF is obviously an affluent City (and I’m in no a way comparing it to KC) - there is crime everywhere. That doesn’t mean people don’t live in these areas, walk around, and live normal existences. An unbelievable amount of gentrification has also happened within the last 8-10 years as well.

With that said, it’s hard to know what a neighborhood is like without living there so I’m hoping to gain some insight from investors or those who live in the Kansas City area. 

Thank you in advance!

Loading replies...