Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Buying & Selling Real Estate
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Kumar Tummalapalli
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Best Practical - real /actionable information whre did you find ?

Kumar Tummalapalli
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Chicago, IL
Posted Nov 11 2017, 17:53

Hello All 

Summary of my qn , if you don't have much time :

what was the best source of information you found when you were starting in real estate investing ? It could be a book , a course , a mentor ( doesn't matter whether they charge $100/hr or $200/hr ).

=======================================

Details :

why do I ask this qn :

90% of what I see in you tube / podcasts and even some paid courses , they are full of B.S . YOu buy a course worth 100$ and then the guru is just trying to sell you his $2000 course , his book - without providing any valuable/real actionable information . It basically has general BS such as you can quit your 9 to 5 Job , you will become zillioniare by next month , you need to analyze deals carefully and so on . You don't need to pay a guru to tell you that you have to analyse the deals carefully . There is nothing in the course which says "how" to analyse the deals carefully , what practices do you follow to make sure that the ARV is calculated rightly . The answer doesn't have to be the worlds most innovative strategy , but it can be a simple thing which works well . example below

For ex : I tried to buy and sell cars ( not to become rich or make money but just to step outside of my comfort zone ) . I always worried if I would pay too much money and then i might not be able to sell the car for a profit . I did one simple thing to valuate - went kelly blue book and with the condition as poor - i found the value , I always paid less than that and every time i sold the car for a quick profit $1000 - $2000 profit . So even though this is a very simple strategy , it worked and I only knew that from experience .

Another webinar I saw - says "10 awesome secrets for real estate investing " and then you know what the ten are - first one is wholesaling , second one is flipping houses...ha ha , I think you got the idea what the remaining are. 

In this day and world too much information is teh problem . Information which is useless , information which is biased and one sided , information to make people excited and buy courses . 

I have faced similar problems in other areas , for ex , I wanted to find a nutritionist/doctor who can help with tweaking my food and suggest supplements to resolve my insomnia and some mild depression i was experiencing around 7 yrs ago . I spoke with 10 nutrionists , about 4 psychiatrist , read around 15 books ( not fully ) - finally found one book , one nutritionist and one course which are great . 

So the summary is - I know that there is good information , good mentors , good courses out there - But unfortunately they are buried under " become a zillionaire by rei " courses, they are not advertising on youtube/facebook .

Important : I now know that there will be some proxies of gurus who will post that a specific guru is the worlds greatest . I request if you are just promoting a guru , please don't do that , I can easily spot by listening to one webinar or consulting with them for half an hour - that they only make flashy videos and are useless

If for some reason , you don't want to post here publicly , PM Me , but posting here would help others as well :-)

Thanks for your patience

Loading replies...