Would you consider buying a property with a pool?

7 Replies

This property is a $180,000 short sale and has a non working pool. For my first investment property, is it wise to purchase this SFR knowing it would add another expense to fill in the pool? I'm planning to BRRRR it. What's your opinion? MLS#1004110635

Filling in a pool is pretty easy. You'll probably need permits and be sure you do it right. it's just another Reno cost.

I don't see any reason for it to be a flag. Just make sure you budget the correct amount. (I have no idea,but a few calls can probably get you a reasonable estimate.

I would only buy if the cost of filling in the pool didn't price me out of the deal I estimate about $7,500 for a project like that depending on the size of the pool.

The cost of this will not only be filling the pool, but the constant maintenance (treating it with chemicals and possibly having it cleaned) and increase in insurance. I'd call an insurance broker and see what the cost would be.

Overall, I'd stay away from having a pool at a rental, that's just my opinion.

Originally posted by @Charles Kennedy :

The cost of this will not only be filling the pool, but the constant maintenance (treating it with chemicals and possibly having it cleaned) and increase in insurance. I'd call an insurance broker and see what the cost would be.

Overall, I'd stay away from having a pool at a rental, that's just my opinion.

Not "fill" the pool.  "Fill in" the pool.  As in, with dirt.

@Richard C. skimmed the other comments too quickly!

In this scenario though you are likely paying a higher price than the same exact house without a pool and then incurring an additional $7,500 as well. But if the #s still work, why not! 

Originally posted by @Charles Kennedy :

@Richard C. skimmed the other comments too quickly!

In this scenario though you are likely paying a higher price than the same exact house without a pool and then incurring an additional $7,500 as well. But if the #s still work, why not! 

Exactly.  It is always about the numbers.  Which is why there is not hard-and-fast answer to most questions like this.

I would not pay a higher price for a non-operational pool.  I would inform the the seller that I would need to either repair it or fill it in, and so that would have to be reflected in the price.

Thanks All for your replies!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here