Looks like an investor is cashing out

Looks like an investor is cashing out

Flipper/Rehabber · Cleburne, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 9 votes

I'm looking at a set of 15 duplexes for sale all together.  I've gotten a pro-forma from the seller and it looks like an 8.6% cap rate.  They were all built in 1964 and most are currently rented.  

I was hoping to shoot for a 12 cap rate, putting the purchase at 1.4 million and I'd like to gather a group of investors to go in with me.  What things would you guys advise me to look out for?

0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 300 posts · 168 votes
8y

Hey, I would reach out to local property management companies to see what it would cost to manage the portfolio. Also, in order to achieve a win-win for you and the seller, see if they would be open to seller financing so you could afford a higher purchase price. Other than that, inspections to uncover deferred maintenance.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 300 posts · 168 votes
    8y

    Hey, I would reach out to local property management companies to see what it would cost to manage the portfolio. Also, in order to achieve a win-win for you and the seller, see if they would be open to seller financing so you could afford a higher purchase price. Other than that, inspections to uncover deferred maintenance.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cleburne, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Thanks Rob,  Good advice.  I was also thinking along those lines. I already have a property manger in the area that I use and she's good at keeping things full and knows the rental prices really well.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 594 votes
    8y

    What state are these located in?

  • Investor · Hillsboro, TX · Member since 2017 · 358 posts · 245 votes
    8y

    Look over the actual performance for at least 2 years (3 years is better).  Proforma numbers are pie in the sky.  

    Hopefully the owner kept good records, many don't.  What was the vacany rate over a longer period of time, the maintenance records etc.   

    Good luck, kinda of envy you for finding a nice package.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Cleburne, TX · Member since 2017 · 29 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Well, as it turns out, the owner has 3 offers out on it. I don't want to chase the top bid on this stuff.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.