Looks like an investor is cashing out

5 Replies

I'm looking at a set of 15 duplexes for sale all together.  I've gotten a pro-forma from the seller and it looks like an 8.6% cap rate.  They were all built in 1964 and most are currently rented.  

I was hoping to shoot for a 12 cap rate, putting the purchase at 1.4 million and I'd like to gather a group of investors to go in with me.  What things would you guys advise me to look out for?

Hey, I would reach out to local property management companies to see what it would cost to manage the portfolio. Also, in order to achieve a win-win for you and the seller, see if they would be open to seller financing so you could afford a higher purchase price. Other than that, inspections to uncover deferred maintenance.

Thanks Rob,  Good advice.  I was also thinking along those lines. I already have a property manger in the area that I use and she's good at keeping things full and knows the rental prices really well.  

Look over the actual performance for at least 2 years (3 years is better).  Proforma numbers are pie in the sky.  

Hopefully the owner kept good records, many don't.  What was the vacany rate over a longer period of time, the maintenance records etc.   

Good luck, kinda of envy you for finding a nice package.

Well, as it turns out, the owner has 3 offers out on it. I don't want to chase the top bid on this stuff.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here