Begining Steps in Real Estate Investing at 18 Years Old

5 Replies

Hello! My name is Jared and I am just getting introduced to real estate investing.  Iv'e read a few books and done hours of research and Iv'e decided that this is what I want to do to build my financial freedom.  After reading I have a general understanding of what it involves but I am still unclear of the steps to get started.  For example, should I wory about finding financing before I find a deal?  What kind of real estate is best for me? Whats the best real estate for Denver or for my area? If you have any insight or personal experience to share I would greatly appreciate it!

I think the first thing you need to do is to figure out what your goals are. This will point you toward fix and flips, rentals, notes, wholesaling, etc.... Then you need to put together a team to help you achieve that goal. Depending on your path you'll need a Realtor, contractor, lender, accountant, mentor, etc....

@Jared Lang Welcome to Bigger Pockets. My first recommendation would be to start attending local REI meetups. This will allow you to start networking with other investors. You can learn what they do, what has made them successful, and what mistakes they've made. This might help you zero in on what aspect of REI most interests you. Don't let anybody discourage you because of your age. You have just as much ability to be successful in REI starting out at 18 as anybody else if you put the work in. If you do things right, you'll be way ahead of investors much older than you. Good luck getting started.

@Jared Lang welcome. If you have not already done so, begin with the Ultimate Beginners Guide under the "Education" tab above and then select the "Guides" flyout. The most difficult is picking a direction and then comes the 2nd most difficult part, staying with it. Once you know where you are going you can chart a course.

You are going to need a job with w2 income for 2 years or someone backing you. Start there and learn as much as you can in the mean time. Actually, are you going to college?

Thanks to everyone who replied. I think I need to get my feet a little more wet and start attending REI meetups like Mr. Bouzek said. I have read a little into the Ultimate Beginners Guide so I will definitely need to finish that by the end of the week. In response to Matt, I am currently leaving the job I had for 3 years to start somewhere else for more money. Now are you saying I currently need a job that I've been at for two years or I just need it on my resume? I am also going to a community college part time.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here