Using private money for down payment ?

8 Replies

At this time I’m looking to acquire a large 72 unit deal with OPM for most of the down payment. 

Example:

Purchase price $5,000,000

Down pmt:    $1,250,000

Amt:   30 year 

Interest: 4.5%

Interest only period: 3 years 

If the property will bring in an 8% return and I’m going to have $750,000 and the debt partners would finance the remaining $500,000 for the down payment I think this would work. 

The debt partner would receive 6% interest for 4 years and then their initial investment would be paid back at year 4. 

What are your thoughts ?

Would this strategy work and would it be risky ?

how many deals have you done thus far? 

You may have a hard time finding a commercial loan at that interest rate

Originally posted by @Caleb Heimsoth :

You may have a hard time finding a commercial loan at that interest rate

If iattain 10 year debt at 30 amt. through a Freddie Mac’s small business loan the rates would be 4.5-4.75%

I think if you get a private loan for the down payment they need to co-sign.  At least for residential 

I believe I would need a guarantor for the loan but I'm not sure if I can go around this if the loan will be recourse.

Any thoughts ?

@Christian Podedworny ","user_avatar":{"medium":{"url":"https://assets2.biggerpockets.com/uploads/social_user/user_avatar/147390/medium_1494597380-avatar-christiannyc.jpg"}}}" href="/users/ChristianNYC">@Christian Podedworny @Christian Podedworny, I work at CBRE as a direct seller/servicer of the Freddie Mac SBL Program.  I think your assumption of 4.5-4.90 is a fair assumption.  I would note that each equity investor holding 20% or more equity will be required to sign the carve outs as a guarantor.  The loan will be fully non-recourse.  Feel free to PM me with any questions.

@Christian Podedworny this could work, but there are obstacles. First, you’ll need more than $1.25. That’ll satisfy the 25% down payment but you’ll have closing costs, escrow account deposits, first year’s insurance premium, utility deposits, $ for needed upfront capX plus reserves. Plan for 30-40% of the deal size.

Next, the primary lender is likely to disallow subordinate debt.  And finally, the added debt service could be a real problem if the income is stressed in a period of economic weakness. Many people learned the hard way during the real estate meltdown of 2005 that too much leverage is a recipe for disaster. 

The best solution is to either use your capital for a smaller deal, or bring someone on as an equity partner.  As an equity partner they get a split of the cash flow and the exit.  If there is no cash flow, they get nothing (until there is once again cash flow, of course). Tell a debt partner that there’s no cash flow and you’ll hear the squealing tires of the process server as they rush over to serve you a foreclosure notice. 

Bringing in an equity partner requires legal counsel. It’s not a DIY project.  But it’s how all of the successful professional buyers do it. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here