Minimizing tax paid on money recieved to buy a house?

3 Replies

Hi Guys, 

I was hoping someone might guide me in the right direction. To make a long story short a relative has given me and my wife a large sum of money as a gift and we want to use this to purchase our first Condo/home. Is there a special type of account or fund I can deposit this into to avoid paying taxes on money that I plan on using completely for a real estate venture? Or to minimize the double taxing of both "income" tax and property tax?

Thanks in advance!

@Ali Qudsi
Unless you are some not-for-profit organization - you will be required to pay property taxes.
There are some instances that you buy a newly developed land/building and the county strikes a deal with you that you won't have to pay property taxes for X years but will ultimately have to pay them once the period is over.

You can decrease your taxable income related to rental properties with depreciation. Depreciation is a non-cash expense so it will allow you to cash-flow but show little to no income on your tax return.

1) if the person who gave the gift recognized it on their tax return as a gift you don’t owe tax, and there is a large gift lifetime gift limit (over 5m 2) property tax has nothing to do with income tax, which is what the gift has effect on. Only way to reduce this is through local or state credits/deductions

The best way to reduce your tax liability is to own investment real estate, other than that I don't know.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here