Planning on Purchasing Duplex in Las Vegas, Any Tips?

7 Replies

I am planning on purchasing 2 duplexes as an investment properties in Las Vegas (most likely North Las Vegas). I am looking at homes that are in the ballpark of $120,000 to $150,000 with gross rents averaging $1000 (roughly $500 per unit) monthly. 

I've purchased a single family property before but that was in Los Angeles and it was rented to family so this will be my first 2 investment properties. Do you guys have any tips of what I should look for or look out for? And also is my budget and how much rent is within reason as far as an investment goes?

Thanks in advance.

If you search for the BP post in the past, most comments on multi-family in Las Vegas are “no no”, because they are in class C-/D area.
Tenants in multi-family is a challenging issue.

Sounds like only SFR/townhouse/condo are good in Vegas.

@Yan Huang

Units that cheap that rent for $500 a side are in the ghetto's ghetto. I'd be very careful about what you buy in D Class neighborhoods. The tenants you will attract there can be quite terrible and you'll experience high vacancy and damage to the unit.

-Christopher

Christopher Brainard, Real Estate Agent in NV (#177490)

This post has been removed.

@Yan Huang

Back in 2010-2013, could invest at low and great returns anywhere in Las Vegas. Now, tougher to find 1% rule. North Las Vegas is rougher D neighborhood, and the city has more regulations like city permit, business license, and pass fire department inspection. Also, many multi-units are older and have deferred maintenance. 

I have 4plexs in Las Vegas, east and near strip. The near strip is better performing. 

All said, read below link, as I believe Las Vegas still good investment. 

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/712/topics/50...

Terry

Thanks for the responses.

This is a newbie question but what tool(s) do you guys use to determine the A/B/C/D classification for a home or neighborhood? (ie. is there a conversion tool from the score that Neighborhood Scout gives to these alphabetical ratings; and is the home classification for the most part just eye balled?)

@Yan Huang

If you are familiar with Las Vegas, especially if you live there, then you can make a good estimation of the neighborhood. I don't think there is an official grading system. 

For example, all can agree that Summerlin is grade A, and North Las Vegas is grade D. Then you can fill in the rest, with comparisons.

Terry

@Yan Huang

Since you indicate that you live in Las Vegas on your profile, An easy way is to drive around the area that you are interested in buying properties, and see if you feel comfortable at the surroundings.

If you feel the area looks scary to you, find somewhere else.

If you feel the area looks ok, buy one property and try it.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.