Referral fee for buyer of cannabis biz in NV?

1 Reply

I feel that it would be fair to receive/be offered a referral fee for referring a buyer of a cannabis business (in NV) to commercial business broker but 

1. Does referring agent have to ask the receiving agent/broker for one?

2. If so, what is the proper way to ask for one?

I know it is customary for agents to refer buyers/sellers to other agents to purchase or sell a home and to receive a referral fee commission of anywhere between 20-30% of receiving agent’s commission for that referral but not exactly sure how it would/should be with a referral to a commercial business broker.

Anyone know? Any input, insight or info is greatly appreciated.

@Melissa Salinas ...we sell businesses. The typical total commission for a business sale is between 5-10%, but like real estate, there is no standard. I'm not sure about NV, but out here on the East Coast, most agents and brokers will offer a 25% fee for a referral. Business brokerage has more in common with commercial real estate sales where you need to get a commission agreement SIGNED before you send the referral or execute any type of contract. This is different from residential sales where the commission is protected by the MLS system for on market properties.

To answer your questions.  The proper way to ask, is to ask.  They should be more than happy to send a referral fee...get it in writing.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.