California high speed rail

12 Replies

I have recently been looking at the new high speed rail starting to get built in the Fresno area. It seems like it will be a positive thing

for the central valley, would it be a good idea to start considering properties along highway 99 to get in the way of progress, and so

when?

That's a brave play and going to require a lot of things to go right. This assumes it doesn't bankrupt the state or the companies that'd hire (at high wages) would still be here once it gets done.

Interesting article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/09/13/report-inves...

Info overload:

http://www.spur.org/sites/default/files/publications_pdfs/SPUR_Harnessing_High-Speed_Rail.pdf

I wouldn't, it seems like pure speculation hoping that you get in the way and get eminent domained out at a higher price, that is assuming you buy in the path and they don't go around your property and that the project doesn't get cancelled or experience huge delays.

I'm surprised by the response, it shows be how experienced investors look ahead at potential problems. I was just thinking about the upside. This is what worries me about buying my first property is not knowing what I don't know, even though the i know the best way to learn is to get in the game and figure it out

Due to the uncertainty about the timing and trajectory of high-speed rail, I wouldn't make an investment decision based upon it, whether buying land that you hope will be subject to eminent domain or residential/commercial property you hope will be near a station and therefore made much more convenient/attractive to tenants.  

That having been said, the longer term (decades) prospects of the Central Valley are good as the coast continues to become more expensive so, if your horizon is long and you're roughly in the path of progress, you may want to consider investment.  But, again, I would be cautious about speculating based on HSR.

Not sure if the high speed rail will be built and if it will be unsuccessful. For it to be a success it would need to connect at least one large coastal city with the central valley. What I would suggest is you purchase Real Estate that would still be successful even if rail is not built.

There is lots of construction activity in Fresno for the High-Speed Rail.  Highway 99 is in the process of being relocated to accommodate the rail.  Numerous other bridges, utilities, roads, and buildings being removed, relocated and replaced.  I foresee a bright future for Fresno.  Not many other places in the state of CA for a median home price of less than $200K.

Franklin

Frank Romine, Real Estate Agent in CA (#01957844)

that's an interesting strategy.  The area along the 99 in fresno isn't that great, until you get north of herndon ave.  If you do buy along 99 in the way of progress make sure it is north of 99 or garenteed to be in the way of where they are moving the 99. 

Originally posted by @Jeff Zimmerman :

that's an interesting strategy.  The area along the 99 in fresno isn't that great, until you get north of herndon ave.  If you do buy along 99 in the way of progress make sure it is north of 99 or garenteed to be in the way of where they are moving the 99. 

Originally posted by @Jeff Zimmerman :

No where in my post I suggest to purchase along, near or in the vicinity of HSR on 99.  My post is presenting current acitivity in Fresno.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.