What do you think? Super deal Duplex in Florida with some downfal

9 Replies

Hey Everyone, 

I have come across a deal which seems to be good but want to get everyones opinion and if they have dealt with the following:

The asking price is $265,000, I am offering $245,000. 

it is a duplex, the 2/1 rents for $1350, and the 1/1 rents for $900. It has an oversized lot which I can rent to an RV or boat. 

The roof is pretty much at its age, 20 years, and would cost about 7k to replace. It looks good now, no leaks so instead of getting it replaced as part of deal, I am asking for deduction on price. Also, to make it livable, I would have to add about 6k in each one. it has the box AC units, and look pretty old so I want to change them to the wall mounted ones. 

In the rent includes garbage and sewer, tenant would pay for electric. 

It has really bad windows as well, which would have to be fixed or replaced. 

Thanks, 

-H

Updated 9 months ago

QUESTION: would you ask the two tenants to be removed prior to selling?

personally I wouldn’t ask for the tenants to be moved, that’s  guaranteed income.

Need more info:

ARV?

CASH or Finance?

Are the tenants current with on time payments?

More details will garner better advice... imo

Hey guys, 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Purchase price: 245,000

FHA Loan - 3.5% down, 4.78% ARV loan.

Tenants are currently on time payments, I am evicting the 900/m for myself as requirement for FHA.

My problem is my numbers arent adding up:

2/1 = +$1350

1/1 = +$900

Mortgage: -$940

Electric - Tenant

W/S - $160

Insurance: -$300

Garbage: -$100

Taxes: -$475

Capital ex (10%): 225

--------

NOI = $50

** It is an oversized lot and I am thinking about putting an RV/ Boat there. Maybe +$300. no HOA.

**It is in a very high up and coming area of town, 1.5 miles from beach and .5 mile from town center/ social area. 

PLEASE GIVE ME OPINIONS!!!!!! What price would make this deal work? 

You can't simply "evict" a tenant just because you want to live there. When you buy the property, you are required to uphold the terms of the leases that are in effect. For this property to be a cash flowing deal for me, I would have to offer around $185k. The taxes are high so it would have to well exceed the "1% rule" to provide a good return on my investment.
Originally posted by @Jason DiClemente :
You can't simply "evict" a tenant just because you want to live there. When you buy the property, you are required to uphold the terms of the leases that are in effect. For this property to be a cash flowing deal for me, I would have to offer around $185k. The taxes are high so it would have to well exceed the "1% rule" to provide a good return on my investment.

They are on a month to month lease with no contract. 

@Hugo Cardona in that case you should review tenant laws to see what is required to remove a month to month tenant. Some states require as much as 60 days notice even without a lease

You can’t expect a property to cash flow well with 96.5% LTV financing, with MIP.

I would screen the current tenants if they are on a month to month before continuing any leasing arraignments with them. I never trust the judgement of a previous landlord regardless if they pay on time

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here