Is this a good deal? thoughts and feedback

3 Replies

Hello guys, I first want to thank BP for being an amazing community. It has answered nearly every question I had without me even having to ask it. With that said I am looking to purchase my first investment property and it is a duplex. I wanted a second opinion on the deal and if you guys thought it would be worth it. I am looking to purchase the property for $110,000. Rent would bring in $1,400 a month. Expenses would be as follows. Insurance -$40 Cap Ex - $70 Taxes - $150 Repairs - $70 Principal and Interest -$481 Vacancy - $70 This makes my monthly income on the property roughly $250 per door before taxes. The only thing that worries me is the cap rate (if I did the math right) is just 5.25%. I just wanted some second opinions on this deal and if there is anything I am not considering or should think about. thanks, Tyler

Income - Expense / Purchase Price

Income: $1400 x 12 = $16,800

Expense: $400 x 12 = $4800

$12,000 / $110k = 10.9%

You do not include debt service when dealing with the CAP rate. How is the location? Keep your down low & you should have a nice Cash on Cash return, assuming the property doesn’t have a lot of deferred maintenance that needs to be done now.

Robert Schumacher

the area is a good one. I live near there now and the downtown area is stretching this direction. Maintenance is something I am looking into this week but other than that you are saying it looks good?

Have you checked what CAP rates are doing in your area?

Robert Schumacher

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
      • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
      • Learn how to get started with or without money,
      • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
      • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.