Can I target small multifamily in Listsource?

5 Replies

Targeting 2-4 unit multifamily buildings for my marketing. Looking for a flip or a buy and hold. Is there a way to target them in Listsource? It seems to give you the option for multifamily but I can't narrow down size. 

I think you can sort by square footage which may get you in the ballpark you want. I think under property type you can choose duplex, triplex and quadraplex but I don’t think you can choose 5-10, 10-30 etc but maybe contact their support staff. Also if you plan to outsource your mailing talk to that company they can probably order your list for about half the price

Yes there is!

When you click on the tab property, select property type.

There you can select:

- Residential: Duplex

- Residential: Tripex

- Residential: Quad

Just select all 3 of them and those will be the only ones on your list.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I spend some time learning how their system works over the past couple of weeks so I may be able to help you.

In addition to Property Type, you can also use "Units - Number of" to specify a range of units. From there if you still want a smaller list, you can tighten up geography, eliminate ones that were resold recently, eliminate ones with "combined mortgage amounts" beyond what you are willing to pay (unless you want to target short sales), etc.

That said, don't just expect either to give you a great list. You really need to test any list you generate using public records to make sure it is giving the results you want. The problem is that there are 3,142 counties, and each one varies a bit in how good a job they do in entering this data. Some don't at all. Others may have started at some point, but not gone back and updated older properties. As such I always recommend taking a little extra time to validate that your list is actually giving you what you want, before you spend a lot of money on direct mail, a bunch of time door knocking, etc.

Thanks, everyone! I was able to find the "Units" selection. The "duplex..." isn't used in my area so there were zero hits. We say "two-flat, three-flat, four-flat". Really appreciate the help! I"m going to direct mail for a multifamily to house hack, so I'm concentrating on the area in which we want to live. I hope to either find a new home or a property to buy and hold!

Hi Chris, I'm actually trying to pull the same list as you (2-4 units). I narrow down to 2-4 units, but I'm getting what I think are too many results for the zip codes I'm searching. Did you pull your list by number of units? Was the list that you pulled accurate?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here