The Best Way to Track Down An Owner?

4 Replies

Hello BP family, and Merry Christmas!

There is an old fixer-upper that has been vacant for years. I have looked on the city assessor's website and the Register of Deeds website and located the owner's first and last name, but have yet to find any actually contact information. What is the best way to get in touch with the owner?

Thank you in advance for your help.

@George Jones there's many different ways to try and acquire that information, but one of the most overlooked tactics is simply knocking on the neighbors' doors and simply asking if they know the owner. You'd be surprised how often this works.

Thanks Allan.
I actually did speak to the neighbors, and they were able to tell me a bit about the history of the property; what the current owner did when he first acquired the property, and so forth. But, other than that they had no other helpful information to add as far as contacts were concerned.

Skip trace is your best bet George. Most of your most accurate sites charge a fee, but there are a few you could pay just by the search.

@George Jones in that case, @Jonathan McGee mentioned, skip trace is your best bet at this point. https://homemetry.com/ is the one I use the most. You simply search using the address, and it'll have a list of people that have lived there, sometimes phone numbers, etc. etc. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here