Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Bill Goodland
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Allentown PA, United States
Votes |
BEST market to build buy and hold portfolio?!

Bill Goodland
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Allentown PA, United States
Posted Dec 30 2017, 19:47

I'm sure this question has been asked many times on the forums, but I'm curious what market people think is the best market to build and buy and hold portfolio in?

As a bit of background on myself, I am from long island, NY and currently in physician assistant school outside of Philadelphia. Once I am out of school, I can go and get a job just about anywhere due to the increasing demand for PAs(especially in smaller markets and rural areas) and am single so nothing is really holding me back from doing so. I plan to house hack and continue living frugally as I save to allow me to aggressively build a portfolio. I love the idea of the BRRRR strategy and plan to incorporate it as much as I can with finding properties in need of rehab. With that being said, ideally I would want to pick a market with strong returns, multi-family inventory, and solid demographics. I wouldn't be opposed to staying in the philly area, however the returns and inventory of Ohio markets such as Cleveland, Cincinnati, and Dayton intrigue me. I love the demographics of Atlanta and some Texas markets, but wonder if they will soon be too hot to find the kinds of returns I would find in mid-west cities. I know eventually I may not want to live in one of these markets long term, but spending 5 years or so developing relationships and boots on the ground before going to a coast seems like my plan as of right now.

So if you love the market you currently invest in, or would pick a different one if you could do it all over, I would love to hear it and why. While I understand I should focus on my primary career first(which I can literally do anywhere in the US), which I have every plan of doing, any other thoughts on strategy or mindset of building a buy and hold portfolio to achieve financial freedom would also be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...