What are the best States for real estate investing?

2 Replies

Can anyone advocate for the state and/or city that they live in, as being a great place to invest in real estate, specifically buy and hold properties? Chris, my husband, and I are transitioning out of the military within 6 months and have some choice where we move. Thanks!

Originally posted by @Colleen Fincham :

Can anyone advocate for the state and/or city that they live in, as being a great place to invest in real estate, specifically buy and hold properties? Chris, my husband, and I are transitioning out of the military within 6 months and have some choice where we move. Thanks!

There are more factors than you could imagine in making a decision where to move. Keep in mind as well that some forms of real estate investing do not require that you live anywhere near your investments.

I primarily buy and hold so my thinking is that you should live where you want, but invest where it makes sense. I live in Omaha but own properties in Phoenix, Tucson, and in Omaha.

If you are flipping houses you may need to be more hands on and live close to your projects.

Ill throw in a Vote for Texas or Tennessee depending on exactly what you’re looking for. Texas is great economically but prices will be higher and property taxes are high.

Tennessee (Memphis) has lower prices and good stable rental market. A lot of Midwest markets are good too, but assuming you want to live where you invest you probably don’t want to live there, unless you love the cold

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here