East Franklinton Columbus - Buy and Hold

2 Replies

Hey BP,

After hearing such optimistic projections and opinions on the up-and-coming East Franklinton, I decided to drive through it myself. If I am going to be honest, I am a bit disappointed with what I saw. I assume that I am being ignorant and am missing something here. Let me elaborate below.

As someone who is looking to buy and hold, I do not see how I could cash flow in that area simply because of vacancy rate and lack of amenities. I fear that I could not find tenants that would actually want to move into any rentals in the area. Imagine moving into a rental that has a boarded up house on your left and right.

I do believe in the long term (or even short term) appreciation of East Franklinton if the city actually executes its plans on reforming it. Is anyone else feeling the same way? Is buy and hold a viable strategy for that area, and if so, which particular pockets of East Franklinton should I go visit again?

Also, I am really sorry about formatting. I didn't think that posting from the app on my phone was going to make my post one long paragraph.
Originally posted by @Corey Carvalho :

Hey BP,

After hearing such optimistic projections and opinions on the up-and-coming East Franklinton, I decided to drive through it myself. If I am going to be honest, I am a bit disappointed with what I saw. I assume that I am being ignorant and am missing something here. Let me elaborate below.

As someone who is looking to buy and hold, I do not see how I could cash flow in that area simply because of vacancy rate and lack of amenities. I fear that I could not find tenants that would actually want to move into any rentals in the area. Imagine moving into a rental that has a boarded up house on your left and right.

I do believe in the long term (or even short term) appreciation of East Franklinton if the city actually executes its plans on reforming it. Is anyone else feeling the same way? Is buy and hold a viable strategy for that area, and if so, which particular pockets of East Franklinton should I go visit again?

Hi Corey!  As areas like East Franklinton area becoming revitalized, it generally happens on a block by block basis.  Old Town East and Marion Village, for example, are a bit further along than East Franklinton so it's easier to visually see the difference.  I'm confident with some time the same will happen in surrounding areas.  There are some good deals to be had especially as East Franklinton is in the early  stages of improvement.  Just think of all the folks that invested in Old Town East 3 and 4 years ago and the returns most of them are seeing now.  Good luck with everything!

Robert Ellis, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2014002724)
(614) 943-9520

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.