Should I need an Umbrella Insurance Policy for my SFH's

Should I need an Umbrella Insurance Policy for my SFH's

Rental Property Investor · Plainview, NY · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 28 votes

Dear all,

I have acquired 4 SFH and 1 duplex in 2017, and I have two more in works that should close soon.

All except one I have done in partnership with a friend of mine and all of the properties were purchased using our personal names and conventional loans.

My guess is that I need to obtain the umbrella insurance policy to shield my personal residence and my family from any potential litigation.

What are your thoughts and what do you do in your own similar scenarios? How concerned should I be?

thank you!

Davd

0Reply
14 views

Most Popular Reply

Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 46 votes
8y
Absolutely. I have 4 sfh rentals and an umbrella policy. I will move everything into an LLC for further protection but keep the umbrella. It’s a no brainer in my opinion.
See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Your current insurance agent is happy to sell a $2M whatever at min cost. You can cancel it if not needed.  If you have that much asset I would.....

  • Charleston, SC · Member since 2017 · 84 posts · 46 votes
    8y
    Absolutely. I have 4 sfh rentals and an umbrella policy. I will move everything into an LLC for further protection but keep the umbrella. It’s a no brainer in my opinion.
  • Rochester, MI · Member since 2014 · 88 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    HI David, 

    HI David, I have two single family homes and two duplexes and carry a one million dollar umbrella policy. 

    I would definitely wouldn't want to be without it, especially if you don't have your property in LLC.

    Chad.

  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y

    Do the umbrella policy. A $2MM Policy should be <$300/yr. You might be limited on the # of properties you can place under one umbrella policy, but do it!

  • Rental Property Investor · Plainview, NY · Member since 2015 · 123 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Anyone can recommend a goo insurance company? I went to my guys at allstate and the quote that I got was 800 for 2mm - too steep.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.