Bed bug epidemic-- 2017 rankings

2 Replies

I read yesterday that bed bugs are an increasingly big problem in the hotel business and large multifamilies, and that certain cities are especially being hit hard (Baltimore, Washington, DC, Chicago). 

Combining various rankings, 3 out of the top 5 are in Ohio (where I invest). Not surprising to me, unfortunately.

Here's the latest ranking if you are interested:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-08...

This epidemic scares me. I had to treat a property of mine in Columbus just a few months ago, and it was thousands of dollars.... Wiped out an entire year's profits. 

Jeeze- thousands to remediate? I had a duplex done in Columbus last year and it was $500 TOTAL, for both sides. 

I don't like the heat treatment- specifically on older homes where it can warm the wood trim, windows, etc. Mine was a spray application and *knock on wood*, it has worked every time. 

Prices range from $50-$5000 depending on who you talk to, and that's pretty much just it.

The state of Ohio lets landlords treat a house themselves as long as they don't charge for it. There are lots of non-commercial options that someone can use in order to treat them at an affordable price. The big thing is to realize there's a lot of scams, and a clean house will help prevent the problems from escalating.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.