House Hacking in Connecticut

4 Replies

I  have decided to purchase a multi family as my 1st investment property and live in it. My question is when you are house hacking what is the goal? Do I  want to make sure that the other unit(s) will completely pay the mortgage or half the mortgage? The area I'm in is expensive and I  want to make sure that I'm not buying something that is not worth it. Any advice will be appreciated!

@Melba Chambers

The IDEAL scenario is to have the tenant's rent pay for your mortgage. However, that is not the case in certain markets, i.e.. NYC, San Fran, Denver etc. Noticed how those markets just named are very expensive. In those markets the rent may only cover 1/2 or 1/3 of your mortgage, which is ok. That is a percentage of your money you get to keep in your pocket.

You can do one of two things. You can either do your research to see what the average rent is in your area and if your property is highly desirable, charge a couple of hundred dollars more than the average. The second alternative is list the rental as high as you think its worth. If you are not getting any bites, lower it down piece by piece until the calls start to come in. If the number you reach where it cover a decent amount of your mortgage then you are good to go.

I live in Fairfield County as well, and in my opinion the goal here is to find a house hacking situation where the portion of the mortgage (PITI) that you have to pay yourself ends up being less than what you would pay if you were renting.

CT is a pretty stale market in most areas, you should be able to find a 3 or 4 unit (duplex are a bit more tough)  that allows you to live for free in what seems like 80%+ of the state. You just need to be patient and flexible. Be prepared for the nicer the town the lower the cash flow. 

edit:--and by stale I mean a buyers market (which isnt the case for most of the northeast)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here