Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Tyler French
  • Lawrenceburg, IN
Votes |
First Multifamily- Am I being too conservative?

Tyler French
  • Lawrenceburg, IN
Posted Jan 15 2018, 11:22

Please be patient with me as I am new to posting. If I have forgotten needed info for your input let me know.  After all the reading/practice I can muster, I have begun my first search for a multifamily in Cincinnati Ohio. 

Below is an example of a property I recently have looked into. The initial screening utilizing the 50% rule put this as a fairly solid prospect, and in getting a tour there were no red flags (brick, good condition, B or C neighborhood). However this was the first time I moved into the next step of working on a more detailed expense analysis, & after doing so the estimated expenses were far more than I expected, at almost 70-75%% of gross income.

The high expense ratio & the fact that this property looks far from a good investment surprised me a bit, and my concern is that besides perhaps the owner having to pay heat, the property's numbers are pretty typical.  The question being, am I misunderstanding something on my  approach to expenses or perhaps too conservative, potentially scaring me off from solid properties? Or is perhaps 70% expense ratio just a reality of the area I should expect? 

Thank you!

Tyler

List Price $119,000
Down Payment $29,750
Repairs $500
Closing Costs $3,000
Total Cash Investment $33,250

Initial Screening
Gross Rent (4 Units)$1,872
Expenses (50% rule)$936
NOI$936
Mortgage$491