Partnership payment question

4 Replies

I will hopefully be doing my first multifamily deal soon and am going to partner with someone I trust. He has the cash and I am bringing the deal. When we talked about potential profit splits, he said he could 1099 me and send me my half every month. I am worried about the tax implications of this. How do you typically handle disbursing money in a partnership?

@Jacob Calbillo

Do you and your colleague have a partnership agreement or a loan agreement?
Are you paying your partner a fixed percentage based on his loan amount?
if this is a buy and hold - does your partner receive a share of the rental net income?
if this if a fix and flip - does your partner receive a share of the selling price?

If your agreement is strictly loan based - you technically are not a partnership and you would pay him interest income based on the amount he loaned and the interest rate you agreed upon.
You would issue him a 1099-INT for the interest paid to him during the year.
On the flip side - you would be entitled to a deduction for the interest that you paid him.
This scenario would not require a partnership return(Form 1065)

If the agreement calls for profits to be split; this is a partnership agreement and you would need to prepare a partnership return. Each partner in the partnership would receive a k-1 from the partnership detailing his share of partnership income/losses.
The K-1 would then be reported on their tax return.

Thank you for your reply Basit. I was reading up on what you sent me and I have another question. I have a LLC and my partner has a separate LLC, could we use a Series LLC together and then split the profits via a K-1?

@Jacob Calbillo hello I hope your doing well with your real estate endeavors I wanted to know if u did the LLC AND SPLIT THE K-1 and how did that work for u and if u didn’t why u chose not to I live in PA so I know things vary from state to state but would like some guidance

Hello,

I just created a partnership to flip properties. Two-thirds of the three of us are Realtors. The third partner is more of the bird-dog/Contractor connect. How is the world do we split profits in a fair manner?

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here