Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Heidi Wilson
  • Charleston, SC
Votes |
Timing of property sale: how soon if at all?

Heidi Wilson
  • Charleston, SC
Posted Jan 26 2018, 06:10
Hi everyone, I have 4 BRRRR houses and am thinking of selling two of them (hot market) to pay off the other two and maybe start a new project (new build or another BRRRR). I read the article on inflation here yesterday and I gotta say it kind of freaked me out. One property in particular is not a super cash-flowing house (it is rented right now under market which I did to get tenants to sign a two year lease and live in it while I did a major major reno job on it). I broke the rule of no rental houses with pools and it has a pool. Plus it’s in a very hot area so I could easily sell it. My question is two-fold: 1) I have in my mind that I need to wait two years from purchase to sell but I don’t know why I think that. Is that a tax thing? If so can someone elaborate? 2) are any of you thinking of cashing out in the hot market before things slow down and reconfiguring your portfolio? I don’t want to be rash but I also don’t want to be stressed out later of appreciation stops and interest rates are up. I’m having a tough time balancing the pros of “hang on to your assets and let the market do its thing” vs “respond to market conditions and make sure you are not over exposed/leveraged.” I have a lot of equity in all of my houses (well over 50% for all of them but one) so I’m not leveraged to the hilt or anything. But still. That article kind of freaked me out. I also am aware that some neighbourhoods are kind of insulated from market dynamics and I feel like mine could be one of them. But I lost my crystal ball. Thoughts?

Loading replies...