Can I Assume this Assumable Loan Will Be a Deal?

Can I Assume this Assumable Loan Will Be a Deal?

Gardendale, AL · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes

I've been drawn to some B-C class townhomes in the greater Birmingham AL area and I am wondering if this place is a deal or not. The area is prime for growth and property appreciation. The townhome is a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath. The two rooms are upstairs and have a jack and jill bathroom. The interior has been renovated (crown moulding, all new appliances, tile backsplash in kitchen. A similar property was recently leased for $725/mo. The current owner purchased the property before the recession at $105k, and the property is now valued about $85-$90k. She owes $86k and has what she calls an "Assumable Loan". If what she says is correct, I would assume the remainder of the debt, and only pay 1% of its value toward closing and it's mine. Her property taxes, loan payment, utilities run about $600/mo.

Can someone give me some more info on assumable loans? Does this sound like it could potentially be a good deal?

0Reply
13 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2016 · 676 posts · 543 votes
    8y

    It could be a good deal assuming the numbers show that it cashflows.  I assume you wouldnt have to pay utilities for tenant(s) so you should cash flow.  If you can actually assume the loan for a 1% fee you would have a good way to jump into a property with very low money down.  You will still have other closing costs and need to budget for vacancy/repairs/management etc before jumping.  Also keep in mind you wont have any equity so you need to be fairly sure on the values so you dont find yourself upside down.  

  • Gardendale, AL · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    It would be a gamble because I dont have a lot of capital to cover the potential vacancies. I do work as a nurse so overtime during vacancies would suffice to cover bills. There is a value add property in the same neighborhood that is on the market through HUD. It's listed at $59k and from pics has some minor updates. The cons, it would bring much lower rents I'm guessing at best $675. My lack of funding for the conventional loan I'd have to get is also an issue.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.