Redevelopment NJ(East Orange and City of Orange

2 Replies

Hi all!

As an NYer looking to start in my local markets (from my general understanding, that is, any surrounding area within a 2-hour drive), I’ve been researching East Orange and City of Orange given the numerous reports of  redevelopment projects in those areas. And, the purchase price to cash flow ratio, of course, compared to NY. However, the date range for some of these reports are 2013-present, yet still, I see so many negative reviews of the areas. Could this mean that even with the current redevelopment plans, these areas will take a more significant number of years to improve, housing class wise? What are some other important factors to consider? Any feedback or advice from those who are familiar with the area or have investments there?

Side note- I’ve experienced the market difference and redevelopment changes of 5 years in similar housing class, in Brooklyn and Queens. Therefore, it is a bit concerning that it has been around the same number of years, but it appears that EO hasn't had, at least half of the similar outcome as of yet.

Thanks,

Casida. 

862-253-2808

Hello,
I grew up in East Orange, but now I live in Jersey City. I am familiar with the area, and I think it will take some time for changes to take root. It will not happen as quickly as Brooklyn or Jersey City. One concern is what seems to be a decline in population over the past years. It is hard to predict exactly how things will go, but the trend seems to be gradually positive to me.

Nick

@Nicholas M Pendergrass Hi Nicholas. Thank you for responding and providing your opinion. It's always good to hear from those who grew up or lives in the area. In agreement, a declining population is very concerning. Thanks for pointing that out as well.

Best,

Casida.  

862-253-2808

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.