Grant Cardone bashing single family

3 Replies

Just wanted to throw my two cents in about Grant Cardone. He has been completely bashing single family investing lately in hopes of getting people to invest in his fund and I really don’t like it. His entire argument against single family is that if it ever goes vacant you lose money. Obviously this is true in the short term, but the goal is never to own one house. I started six years ago buying, flipping and holding very small rental houses while I worked my regular job on the side. I started with one, and I can tell you that when you only have one you make sure that it’s never vacant. Then two and three and four, and at that point even if you have a vacancy for a small period you still cash flow just fine. Long story short in a small period of time you can build up a portfolio that is diversified enough to handle some vacancy and you’ll get a lot more than the 6.5% Cardone wants to give you. Last year I left my job and now live off my real estate income. I now focus on larger commercial deals, and it’s all because I started with small single family homes. I wish everyone the best. Feel free to message me if I can ever help.

Grant Cardone wants to bash single family because he syndicates large apartment complexes (apparently cashes out most of his money post close, see other BP posts on this)

And then like this thread mentions give you probably 5-6 percent on your money, while charging management fees, closing fees, selling fees etc.

Is that better than say owning 10 single family rentals? I’m not sure it is. Everyone touts the passivity of it but you also have zero control. I spend probably 3-5 hours a month on my single family rentals (combined). And I have total control.

In a perfect world you should do both and if you want to be in a syndication, I’d recommend one where you earn more like 8-10 percent instead of 6.

End rant. P.S he’s still wildly entertaining

Why are you now focusing on larger commercial deals? Because you likely find it scales better, right? I think that's basically what GC is saying,  in not so nice terms. The only difference is you think the path required that you started with small single family homes and he is saying that step is not necessary.

Grant started with houses. I started with a couple mobile homes. Then to houses. Then to apts.  It's like me having a massive following and bashing mobiles, where I started. 

The mobiles were great %-wise and easy to exit. Houses you control and are easy to exit. How easy is a massive apt community to exit? 

How easy is it to raise capital and keep all the partners/investors happy? 

How easy is it to shell out $25k+ in legal  just to stay out of hot water with the SEC and other regulators so you have a proper offering and can raise money?

How comfortable would you be investing in something you have absolutely no say in? Nobody but Grant and maybe a key man or 2 can even vote on major decisions.

Those details aren't discussed of course during the rah-rah and rant show. It's salesmanship. For Grant. He couldn't care less if we buy houses or not as long as it doesn't prevent us from investing in one of his no-say syndications.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.