Any investors in the Austin, TX area that focus their investing efforts in the DFW area? If so why did you opt for Dallas over SA, Houston, ect?
We do projects in Austin and Dallas but only because we live in those areas. SA is a good market with reasonably priced product.
@Austin Joseph I'm coming from a commercial MF perspective here, but multiple reasons:
1. Price of entry is more reasonable in DFW (as opposed to Austin).
2. Population growth for the MSA as a whole is among the best in the country over the past several years.
3. Job growth coupled with employer diversification. TONS of companies have, in the past several years, and will, in the next several years to come, move their headquarters to the market. The DFW job market isn't dominated by one industry which greatly reduces risks. While I don't have solid numbers, I'd imagine that Austin employs A LOT of techies.
4. More commercial value-add opportunity in DFW (as opposed to Austin) as it's simply a bigger market (DFW is around 6-7 mil people while Austin-Round Rock is around 2 mil) and is more established/has been "around" longer.
None if this is to say that there aren't deals in Austin, because there are. There are plenty of people killing it here in every REI niche - it really just comes down to personal preference.
Free eBook from BiggerPockets!
Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!
- Actionable advice for getting started,
- Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
- Learn how to get started with or without money,
- Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
- And a LOT more.
Sign up below to download the eBook for FREE today!
We hate spam just as much as you
Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community
Basic membership is free, forever.