Investing in Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria

4 Replies

Hi all,

I am an active-duty Staff Sergeant (E-6) in the United States Marine Corps currently overseas and looking to start my real estate portfolio. I am single with no debts, kids or wife so I am ready to give all my 100% off-duty time available into this! 

I was born and raised in Puerto Rico, where my family currently still lives. After the hurricane I have been looking into prices to start buying properties using the BRRR method or even getting into flipping if possible. Does anyone have any experience doing this in the Puerto Rico market? How different is since Maria? Any recommendations are welcome.

V/r

L

@Luis A. Escudero Burgos My friend and I had the same insight and are considering it. We are most interested in the Aguadilla area as it had close proximity to the beach and good surf spots. I have a couple of boriqua friends that just got back so I will be tying in with them shortly. The prices were suppressed prior to the hurricane as you probably know. I don't know what kind of economic recovery and rebuilding we'll see under the Trump administration. Long term buy n hold might be a better strategy...it all depends on the boots on the ground. Google purchasing in PR. I ran across a great blog that outlined the process quite well. Not exactly how we do it here in the US. Buena suerte amigo! TJ

Following, same as OP single debt free E6 overseas. Did a little research and networking but lost interest. Willing to mastermind options tho

Originally posted by @Roger Poole :

Following, same as OP single debt free E6 overseas. Did a little research and networking but lost interest. Willing to mastermind options tho

Partnerships I heard are powerful! So I will let you know once I get a good grasp and knowledge about the area. Thanks.

V/r

Luis

Luis, as you know everything is a pain in the *** in PR, and the government has their hand out at every turn. 

i think some of the issues are that rents are not that high, and finding qualified people are difficult right now, especially when people are not working. it sucks, but its the facts.

unfortunately the properties don't appreciate well down there, so you would be buying for a long term cash flow play. 

Some of the places that are doing well down there are the short term rentals. This is the market I will buy into next year down there.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.