B class neighbourhood in Kansas or chicago?

B class neighbourhood in Kansas or chicago?

North Vancouver, BC · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
Hello! Looking into an investment in possibly Chicago, Kansas city or atlanta. Considering a turn key, nervous about neighbourhoods being C class over B class. Can someone let me know the areas i should be looking for?
0Reply
17 views

Most Popular Reply

Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
8y

@Camila Lohr Personally I think Kansas City is the better of the 3 markets by far. Atlanta has strong job and population growth but the cash flow and COC returns are low. The train left the station there several years ago, Prices are too high now for it to cash flow. Chicago has virtually no job or population growth, has high property taxes and Illinois is not a landlord friendly state. I might be biased towards Kansas City but I think the matrix below will show you why I think it's a much better market. I'd be happy to share my insights on KC if you'd like.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Camila Lohr Personally I think Kansas City is the better of the 3 markets by far. Atlanta has strong job and population growth but the cash flow and COC returns are low. The train left the station there several years ago, Prices are too high now for it to cash flow. Chicago has virtually no job or population growth, has high property taxes and Illinois is not a landlord friendly state. I might be biased towards Kansas City but I think the matrix below will show you why I think it's a much better market. I'd be happy to share my insights on KC if you'd like.

  • Real Estate Investor · Arlington, VA · Member since 2012 · 300 posts · 277 votes
    8y

    Every market has investment potential, but different strategies are called for for different markets. Atlanta is BOOMING with making money (I have a 2 day intensive all about the Atlanta Market in April), while people think its cash poor. Lol, whatever. All that you mentioned can work with the right strategy. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Wyckoff, NJ · Member since 2015 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    @Camila Lohr

    The following thread might help you. Independence and Raytown (both KC) are popular areas.

    I have one in Zip code 64056. 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/48/topics/276...

    Good luck.

  • Investor/RE Broker · Eugene, OR · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 968 votes
    8y

    I like NW Indiana (part of Chicagoland, but has the lower taxes and more landlord friendly laws of Indiana and KCMO for turnkey right now.  These preferences are also driven by the teams that are available there.  I believe working with the right team is even more important than picking the "right market." And I totally agree with Mike about Atlanta.

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    If you're looking for cash flow, you'll have better luck in Kansas City. That being said, Atlanta and Chicago probably have a higher appreciation potential. But since "potential" isn't guaranteed, I like to focus on cash flow.

  • Birmingham, AL · Member since 2017 · 22 posts · 8 votes
    8y
    Can anyone recommend an honest, experienced contractor in KC?
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.