4 Plex Corpus Christi

2 Replies

Good Day!

I will get straight to it. There is a 4 plex for sale in Corpus Christi, TX. Each unit is 2 beds 1 bath. Each unit rents for $1075 ($4300 total gross). Currently 3 of the 4 units are occupied. The vacant unit that I did see was in C+ condition. There is a four space car port on the back of the property. Asking price $215,000. With the numbers as they are, when the property is fully occupied it follows the "2% rule". Based on the "50% rule" it would cash flow $450/mo. I am assuming a $200,000 purchase price which is a $1700/mo mortgage payment which includes (PITI). The only number I am not sure about is the insurance. I assumed a $2,000 annual cost.

What am I missing? I will get inspections done and I know some work needs to be done, since there was some water damage in the unit I saw. The roof and all windows are three years old.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, this seems like a really good deal. Thanks!

That's not crazy for CC; assuming the rest of your due diligence turns up empty of other issues, the low asking price is probably just market rate for B- class properties.  The tenant pool at the low/middle end in Corpus can be very management-intensive.  Not sure you can count on a low vacancy rate either.

$2000 annual is probably too low for insurance; windstorm insurance is required everywhere in CC. Also varies based on whether you're in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFH Zone). So check which zone the property is in so you can get an accurate insurance estimate. I'm paying about $1/sqft for insurance on my Single family homes in CC, and they're not in a high-risk SFHA.

Brian,

Thanks! I’ll rerun some numbers.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.