Buying & Selling Real Estate
Account Closed
  • Fort Mill, SC
Votes |
Property management and HOAs

Account Closed
  • Fort Mill, SC
Posted Mar 4 2018, 13:51

Below is an email I received this morning from my HOA regarding trash that had been left outside my rental property from a rehab I have been working on with my property management company...

Thank you for making sure that this was taken care of. I let it go for a couple of days thinking that the city was scheduled to pick it up but come Thursday something had to be done with it. I was getting ready to give you a call when I received a call from your new property management company asking question about the payments. I informed them at that time that it had to be moved immediately and was assured that it would be. I received a call from the President of the HOA Association at 12:30AM Saturday morning wanting to know about it and why it was still there. Later that morning I sent out the Notice of Hearing and the fine for it not being removed by Friday at 5:00 PM, along with the notation that this would be a daily fine until it was removed. I received a phone call at approximately 11:00AM Saturday from a representative of your property management company letting me that there was a "misunderstanding" – I can only assume that I misunderstood that immediately meant whenever they felt like taking care of it. - After all I was told that it was "inconvenient" for them to have had to come back out here and move it. Then I was told that "I know how HOA's operate". Dan going forward I will not work with Touchpoint Property Management especially since they find it inconvenient to follow the rules and regulations that have been in place since 1984 and insist on insulating the Board and its members including me. If you have an issue with this please bring it up at the Board meeting on March 12th that you have been requested to attend.

What aggravates me about this situation is the HOA never communicated anything to me personally about the trash in front of the property until yesterday when I received an email of the incident and a fine and a required meeting with the board. My management team told me the trash from the rehab would be hauled away, not just left in front of the property in one of the two parking spaces. This is the first property I have worked on with this company and already having problem here. I have told the management company they will be reimbursing me for the fine by deducting their fees by the 50 and told them I need full communication on every matter as soon as something comes up. I don't want to overreact by firing a company that I have just started working with (that has amazing reviews) and the rehab process has gone well until this matter. I also know how much of a pain this particular HOA can be.

Any suggestions how to handle this issue? Sorry for the long post.

Loading replies...