Can I roll the closing costs into the mortgage on an investment

4 Replies

Im working on 2 deals right now and it looks like i will be short on the closing costs on one of them. Can I roll the closing costs into the mortgage?

depends on the equity in the property, usually. may also depend on the bank. if you have enough equity in the property the bank should let you do it.

I have done this on two properties. Ones under negotiation ask the seller to cover closing costs and raise your offering price to cover the closing costs.

@Thomas Robb yeah, if you are purchasing your down payment and closing costs must be separate from the loan.  There's a couple of strategies here:

1. Ask the seller to pay for some costs
  2. Increase your purchase price by X and ask the seller for that same amount.  That way they don't lose any funds.  Your appraisal will have to be able to support the increase that amount though.  So this strategy may not work on every transaction but maybe it can fit here.
  3. The lender can offer to pay some of the costs.  In exchange they will charge you a higher interest rate.

Hopefully one of those 3 can work for you.  Good luck!

Andrew Postell, Lender in Texas (#392627)
817-873-0621

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.