Buying 7 town houses from a non-profit, for $60,000?!?!?!?

4 Replies

Hey Everyone!

Im a 25 year old that has recently jumped into real estate while working a full time job. I currently own a four-plex and have pretty good knowledge on real estate.

I am from a small town in the midwest of 650 people. I no longer live here but know alot of people from here and there is a Non profit that owns 7 duplexes that are all 1bed/1 bath. My uncle and I have talked to the president of the non-profit and they are interested in selling it, and would take what is currently left on the mortgage for the sale since they would disband the non-profit. (Roughly 60-70k)

My Questions are:

1. Is this legal? ex. they are obviously selling it at way below the value of the property, can we benefit from this?

2. If i did this I would buy it with cash and then refinance for the actual price at 75/25 loan and invest in more property. Smart??

3. Anything I should be worried about? (These are 100% occupied and could cash flow at 50% ocuupancy)

Thanks in advance

sounds like a freaking jackpot to me.  Legal on your end?  Yes.  On their end... probably LEGAL, but not the best they can do... But then again... what do they care....?  Go do it.

As for financing $ out...  that all depends on your risk tolerance and profit % of the next thing vs the loan costs.

@Cole Johnson    I have bought houses on several occasions from non profits at good discounts.  They have other things to consider than getting top dollar.  If you are comfortable with the other aspects of the property I wouldn't over think why you are getting it at a discount.  It sounds like a going out of business sale to me.

Sounds like it is legal. They probably do not want to take a profit because they are dissolving the non profit. Lots of legal woes with non profits. For them the hassle of figuring out what to do with any profit is probably not worth it to them. I'd do the deal.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.