Deployed member looking to invest in Maryland

4 Replies

I am trying to narrow down the best parts of Maryland to invest in. I know Baltimore is appealing due to the upturn of the market there but I was also curious about other markets that could be a sleeper but still has the low budget appeal like Baltimore has.

@Leighton Bryan
What are you looking to invest in ? Being deployed I would assume turnkey rentals but let us know and we can be more specific

@Chris Seveney I am interested in investing in 2-4 unit properties and it doesn’t necessarily have to be turnkey as I have some boots on the ground in the area that would look after my investment until I return. With that said, I would also welcome any recommendations on turnkey providers as well. 

Originally posted by @Leighton Bryan :
I am trying to narrow down the best parts of Maryland to invest in. I know Baltimore is appealing due to the upturn of the market there but I was also curious about other markets that could be a sleeper but still has the low budget appeal like Baltimore has.

Thanks for your service! I agree with some of the others, you may want to look into Turnkey as that would be very hands off for you. 

You probably aren't going to find any markets in Maryland with a lower price-of-entry then Baltimore, so if "low budget appeal" is your driving factor then focus on Baltimore and maybe Dundalk.  Be aware that you have to know your neighborhoods in Baltimore though, I'd be hesitant to purchase sight-unseen (assuming you're deployed and can't get back to see the homes yourself).  I suggest at least have a few property managers give you their assessment of the marketability of any homes before you invest.

Good luck!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here