Selling after pulling your own permits

7 Replies

Hello everyone

Trying to complete my first deal and need some advice and recommendation  

I live in Daytona Beach, Fl, where I recently completed the renovation of my first property. My dad and I did all the work on property including roof, tile, kitchen etc. When I went to pull the permits for the roof at the licensing and permit office they said something that spooked me. They informed me that, because I performed most of the work on the property, I was not allowed to sell or rent it.  Since then I have been doing some research and have talked to a few real estate investors. Not one of the investors had ever heard anything like it before. One of them informed me that the city doesn't even know if its rented or not. He advised me to keep the utilities under my name and include them in the rent.    

My original plan with this property was to hold on to it for a few years while collecting some cash flow. Then after 5-8 year sell. I would truly appreciate some clarification and word of wisdom at the moment. Thank you guys for hearing me out. 

Voluisa has been changing laws latley.  If you pull a "home owner permit" they now are saying you can't sell the property for a year after the renovations.  Haven't heard about the the rent thing though...

I live in volusia county i think it just depends on what you repaired, if its something that requires a permit then they want their share on money and to send a inspector out to look at the repair to make sure its done right. 

In my city when you use a homeowner permit you sign an affidavit that you will not sell for one year after the permit is closed.  I suspect that's really what you're dealing with.   "Forever" is a pretty unrealistic timeline.

If you have a contractor pull the permit there is no problem... If the home owner pulls the permit that where they try to get you.   

Thank you guys for such a quick response! I will definitely find a reliable contractor to do the work that requires permit for my next deal. This will also free up a lot of time for me to focus on making some more money and finding my next Investment! 

The reason is because if you pulled the permit as an owner, you signed as an Owner Occupant.....not as an investment property, otherwise you would not have been allowed to pull the permit yourself.

As others have implied, it’s completely up to the local building department and government.

I ran into this with an electrical permit on a flip. Everything passed, but the building inspector wouldn’t sign off on it since there was a for sale sign in the yard - so I wasn’t the homeowner but an investor.

I needed to get an electrical contractor in to re-pull the permit. I made a deal to pay him a bit to come over, see the work, and effectively take the risk of the permit. A pain, but ended up working out.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.