Practicing my property analysis...can you check my work?

1 Reply

I suck at numbers, so I made up some for a hypothetical subject-to deal to sharpen up. Can you experienced investors please critique my work? My hypothetical plan is to take over the loan> get a tenant in> cashflow

Sellers loan terms 

• P.P. $200,000 
  • Loan Amount $180,000 (20% DP) 
  • 5% interest for 30 years.

Property Data

• Current Market Value $200,000
  • Tax Assessed Value $174,390
  • Tax Rate 2.3%
  • Current Market Rents $1500

Seller made first 5 years of payments (The amount paid off in these 5 years shouldn't factor into my cash flow calculations, correct?)

My Calculations

P&I - $966 Monthly 

Taxes - $334.24

Insurance - $80 (I've read to figure $35 for every $100,000?)

$966 + 334.24 + $80 = $1380.24 (PITI) Monthly

Market Rent $1500 (-)  Monthly Mortgage $1380.24 = $119.76 (potential cash flow) not including vacancy factor, repairs, capex, hoa fees, additional flood insurance. 

Verdict:  NO DEAL

You are unable to accurately determine your cash flow and monthly payments based on this information.  If you are assuming a loan and not refinancing then the monthly payment will be whatever the current owner is paying, which is unknown in this situation without knowing their purchase price and financing terms.  Your calculations are correct based on a PP of $200,000 with a 10% down payment to make $180,000 and getting new financing at that amount.  A 20% down payment would make the mortgaged amount $160,000 and your monthly cash flow would increase by about $108.  But I think you're right in that this property does not perform well, especially after factoring in all your additional costs.  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.