Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Jacob Gallup
  • Wichita, KS
Votes |
New duplex vrs 1 year old duplex (same design)

Jacob Gallup
  • Wichita, KS
Posted Mar 20 2018, 21:58
Hey everyone looking for your opinions on my situation, would love advice anyone can give! So I’m looking at two duplexes right now. It’s a new subdivision and they are cookie cutter builds. I’m looking to purchase one of the duplexes and house hack it. Currently there are plenty of new homes never used ready to be purchased and rented out, but also there is 1 duplex that is already being sold by the owner 1 year after purchase for $5k less than the new homes in the same neighborhood. I’m considering the new home because it would come with a 1 year contractors warranty and will be completely unused. Where as the 1 year old home does not come with its 1 year contractors warranty and is used. My first instinct is to try and get the owner of the used home to come down in price $15k-$20k since it’s 1 year old and why would I buy a used house for only $5k less than what I would pay for the exact same home brand new. (Hope I didn’t confuse everyone with this). Note: both homes are identical in every way since they’re cookie cutters. Both will come with 1 side rented out. Has anyone been in this situation before? If so what did you do? And if not, what would you do in my position? Thanks everyone! -Jacob

Loading replies...