1031 Exchange Question

5 Replies

I have a single family home that I've been renting for 10yrs.  I am in the process of selling it and doing my first 1031 exchange.  Can I use a 1031 exchange to buy a duplex (multi family) or do I have to buy another single family home?

@Dylan Hagen , you can take the sale of one house and use that money towards the purchase of more than one property. However, I strongly recommend you get a GOOD Qualified Intermediary. Find one with a stellar reputation and connect with them BEFORE you list this property for sale. There are so many details you HAVE to get right.

Mindy Jensen, Real Estate Agent in CO (#FA100049656)

You can 1031 it into any other “like kind” property. That can be single family, multi, self storage, commercial, office, etc. Even completely passive investments if you want. Just think of it as investment property for another investment property to make it simple.

If you need a good QI, I suggest you speak with no one other than @Dave Foster . I think he was born on 10/31, his street address is likely 1031, and his middle name is probably “tenthirtyone”. Literally Dave eats, sleeps, and breathes anything and everything 1031 related.

@Dylan Hagen , the "like kind" in like kind exchange means it's use not nature.  Any kind of investment real estate can be exchanged for any other type of investment real estate.  So you can change sectors from residential to commercial or SF to MF.  And you can change geography anywhere in the US, the USVI Guam or American Samoa.  And you can change numbers and sell one and buy two or more allocating your proceeds in whatever way you wish.

As @Mindy Jensen , you must use a Qualified Intermediary and they must be in place prior to the sale of your old property.

Thank you @Brandon M. for the recommendation. @Dave Foster  I have a renter in my current townhouse looking to purchase it.  If he is serious and gets pre-approved, I will reach out to you. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.