Investing outside my local market using turnkey companies

11 Replies

I am looking to start investing outside of my local area.

I have been considering looking at some turnkey companies.

I am looking primarily to invest in the Denver, Nashville, and Columbia, SC.

Wondering if anyone has any success or nightmare stories in those markets.

Originally posted by @Ron Hall :

Investing in Turnkey can be a great way to get started in another market than your own! I always suggest looking for "pre-boom" cities that are crawling with investors just yet.

Try looking at:

The Best Types of Markets for Profitable Turnkey Properties

and

What to Ask When Working With a Turnkey Provider

Tom Ott, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2016003865)
440-749-4043

thanks Tim 

@Ron Hall

I can help out in the Nashville market. What type of investments are you looking for? Rentals? What type of metrics are you looking for?

I am interested in rentals that cashflow.

@Ron Hall Turnkey can be a good way to invest in buy and hold rentals that cash flow, but I doubt you can find such a company in Denver as the prices there are too high.  Why not stick your own state, if not immediate area? For example Kansas City is a good market for turnkey investors as long as you work with a truly reputable and trustworthy company. 

Larry Fried, Real Estate Agent in OR (#201211636)

Hey Ron I'm an investor in Nashville, and with the market booming the way it is with the population increasing one thing a lot of investors say is the demand is high and the supply is low making this a sellers market. With the team we aren't having any trouble at all finding properties throughout the greater Nashville area. 

@Ron Hall I am an investor in Nashville. Love our market here. Let me know if you need any property management in the Nashville area!

Originally posted by @Ron Hall :

It's important to note that you can run into a nightmare scenario in any market you invest in. Heck, you can easily run into them in your own backyard. It's not really that complicated to buy out of state. It only becomes complicated when investors try to over complicate or over think everything. Whenever you are buying a property out of state you should do a few things to ensure it's as smooth as possible.

• Don't buy in the roughest neighborhood in the urban core. Pick a solid B-Class suburban area. Perhaps a nice 1950's built bungalow.
  • Always hire a 3rd party property inspector to give you an unbiased feel for the home. The reports are 40-90 pages long and go through the entire house in great detail.
  • Get an appraisal. If your using financing the bank requires this. This is good. The bank isn't going to let you blow their money. They have more skin in the game then you do.
  • Make sure you get clear title. If using a lender this is a non issue. They will make you do this. It's those maniacs that buy homes cash via quit claim deed off of craigslist that really get screwed.
  • Make sure your property manager is a licensed real estate brokerage.
  • Understand you can not eliminate all risk, only mitigate it. If you are risk adverse real estate, (especially out of state) is not for you.
James Wise, Real Estate Agent in OH (#2015001161)
216-661-6633

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.